A lot of times, it’s as much about what you don’t do as what you do. This could be particularly true of your website. There is a considerable amount of wacky problems that can send visitors running away from your site. Let‘s see which if any of these affect you.
- Not having a clear objective – According to DinkumInteractive.com a user must know exactly what the site is about in 4 seconds or they’ll click away.
- Not making the content scannable – We read in chunks, if you can’t scan your web page and get the gist of it in a few seconds, you could turn off a significant portion of your visitors!
- Not being mobile friendly – No longer an option, as according to Google over half of all web traffic is now mobile.
- Not using videos on your website – Most of us have video cameras in our phones–so there’s no excuse for not having video on your website!
- No fresh, quality content – Difficult to read text, spelling or grammar boo-boos, or overly long pages.
- Hard-to-find contact information – Make certain we can contact you if we want to!
- Not collecting email addresses – Also a necessity. Establishing a list is one of the keys to long-term success online.
- Not utilizing Meta tags on your website – In particular the title and description tags. These can help you to get indexed and ranked in the search engines.
- No social sharing buttons – Social media is a substantial part of search engine optimization now, therefore you should make your content shareable.
- Missing calls-to-action – You want an action from your visitors; ask for it!
- Poor site navigation – Avoid using drop down menus, and be sure that all pages on your website include links back to your home page.
- Not optimizing images – Make sure you use the ALT and TITLE attributes for any images you post.
- Flash – Besides being hard for Google to read, it could be overly irritating to your visitors!
- No strategy to measure your progress – Do you have some form of web metrics measuring your stats? If not, you’re flying blind.
- “Intro” pages – These are relics of an former age, and now obstruct your site.
I am going through these myself – so get started too!